Friday 18 January 2013

Escapades of a Pen Drive

I lay nice and shiny in a plastic case resting on a rack at an electronic store along with more of my clan.
We were up for discounts, it was the festive season. Personally, I don’t see why we should be given away at a discounted price. For our size, function and ease of use we should be selling like hot cakes. But here we were waiting for a customer to pick us.
And that’s where I was wrong, I expected all of us to be bought together and never foresaw that there was a possibility of us being separated. Well as it was meant to be, my family was packed off to some conference where they would be handed out in bulk and sadly enough I did not make it in that group.
All alone I looked on waiting to be owned by someone, in search of a new family of other kinds of electronics.
And that’s when she entered the store accompanied by her father. As she approached to where I was, I heard her dad tick her off saying he wouldn't buy her more pen drives after this one. Said she’d lost enough number of them and he’d spent a fortune replacing each lost one.
That did not sound like a very good omen to me but alas, she took a fancy to me and I found a new owner, who seemed to be a rather forgetful one.
Soon my fears were realized as she happened to be quite a scatterbrain. The first few days she was quite careful about not leaving me behind or loosing me somewhere. But two weeks down and she became her forgetful self.
The Xerox shop, computer lab, cyber cafe  some friend’s laptop and there were also times when I would lie buried in the depths of her bag out of reach and out of sight.
In the many of escapades of mine I made new friends, laptops, printers, mouse and keyboards. There was also a fair share of my counterparts to flirt with.
On all those occasions when I was lost to her and she was in a frenzy trying to locate me, I would be having the time of my life being the Casanova.
And so my adventures continued.
One such day, she was in a hurry to submit her assignments and so took a quick print out and dumped me along with her some other belongings in a carry bag. I was a little apprehensive and knowing her well she had all the chances of leaving the bag behind.
What was more, she did exactly as I thought she would. And of all the places that she could’ve left the bag in, she did so in an ATM.
An ATM where people come and go every few minutes and there was a good possibility of the bag being dumped in the bin as something suspicious or being taken away by some random passerby.
Added to that I could sense the presence of the ominous ATM machine, it stood there majestic and intimidating its eyes boring into mine. Something told me that sooner or later I would either be stolen by a stranger or be engulfed in the huge machine.
For the first time in all my ramblings I wished my owner would find me. As air headed as she was, she cared for me and would always come looking for me. I found myself wishing to be reunited with her probably as much as she would when she realized she had lost me again.
And then I saw a tiny ray of hope as one of her friend’s entered the ATM. If she noticed the bag and recognized the contents as her friends then there could be a chance of our reunion.
I sat there hoping against hope. And dramatically enough she did notice the bag and picked it up to check the insides. The exasperated look on her face said that she knew this was my owner’s bag.
And so after all the waiting I was reunited with my dear forgetful owner who was delighted at the sight of me and so was I.
But the worst was yet to come. So flustered was her friend with my owner that she decided to adorn me with a hideous pink ribbon so my mistress would not be able to take her eyes of me. I looked on helplessly as I was dressed in the atrocious flimsy piece of cloth.
Gone were the days when I could flirt around with pretty pen drives. All for a sense of belonging and the hope to not be left behind one more time.


P.S: Let's give you a little background about this particular piece. So I have this roomie who is a complete scatterbrain. She manages to forget every single thing under the earth.
We all have these times when we walk into a room and forget what we went in for.
In case of my roommate this is an everyday story.
She is a forgetful, silly old girl, but a very darling one at that.
And this is the story of her pen drive. Her pen drive that has faced the wrath of her unbinding memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment